Bike Service & Repair
South Austin's Bike Repair Experts
BIKEALOT is a mechanic owned shop with over 25 years experience. We guarantee our work and we're confident you will appreciate our commitment to quality.
For tune-ups and other repairs, please read our policies and pricing info below. Then, if you would like to make an appointment, please send an email to email@example.com with photos of your bike, including an overview and close ups of any known issues, and also tell us what kind of service you need as well as what brand/model it is, and its approximate age. We'll get back to you with a ballpark estimate and timeframe. We may require a deposit to hold your appointment, import contact info for new customers, &/or to order parts for your bike. Then we schedule drop-off appointments during our business hours, and turnaround time is usually 1-2 days. We charge $15/night for bikes left 24 hours after they're ready for pickup due to the liability of the unfortunate bike shop burglaries in the greater Austin area.
If you bought your bike from BIKEALOT, no matter how long our waiting list may get in busy seasons, we always work in our established customers. Please mention that you bought your bike here and send your service request to firstname.lastname@example.org.
Pashley, our friendly shop dog.
Full Tune-Ups Start At:
75 - Single Speeds
95 - Multi-Gears
110 - Mountain Bikes
125 - Full Suspensions
190 - Total Tune
We do A LOT more than lube your chain & tweak your brakes.
Prices are for labor only, parts sold separately.
All Tune-Ups Include:
- Basic bike wash*
- Safety check on all parts and accessories of bicycle*
- Adjust gears and brakes
- Adjust headset, tighten cranks and chain ring bolts
- Lube cable, housing, and chain
- Check/Adjust derailleur hanger alignment
- Tire & Suspension Air Pressure check & adjust as needed
- Free installation of BIKEALOT purchased accessories
- Wheel work, which includes adjustments such as: hub bearing adjustments, precision wheel true (for a straighter wheel and tighter brakes), and rotor true (smooths out disc brakes)
- Additional costs with standard tune-ups may include things like parts and installation to replace worn cables, chains, brake pads, or other components needed to help ensure safety & reliability.
Includes everything above plus:
- Detailed bike wash*
- Remove drive train and clean in solvent
- Remove, clean, and re-grease cranks and bottom bracket
- Labor to replace chain, cables, housing, brake pads, tires, tubes, rim tape, and grips or bar tape (as needed)
- Additional cost for some internally routed cables may apply.
*Please see Service Policies below.
Here are some more options. Prices are for labor only, parts sold separately. If you need a service not listed, please call or email. All service includes a sanitizing wipe down before and after service for Covid safety.
Our minimum charge is $30 to check in, sanitize, and assess a bicycle for repairs. We do our best to assess bikes by photo before you bring them in for service. Send photos to email@example.com.
- All service prices are for labor only. Parts sold separately.
- We no longer install parts purchased outside BIKEALOT.
- We do not service e-bikes or electric assist bikes.
- We only work on bicycle brands that were originally sold through bike shops, not department stores or big box stores like Academy or Walmart. We're honestly not bike snobs, this policy is for liability, safety, and part compatibility reasons. Schwinn bikes manufactured after the 1980's are department store bikes (see Schwinn's history on Wikipedia).
- For safety & liability reasons, we do not work on bikes if the structural integrity is compromised by things like bent frames, cracks, or serious rust.
- Basic drive train wash included with Full Tune-Up, and detailed wash with Total Tune. Excessive chain lube or layers of dirt may be subject to our dirty bike surcharge of $15-25 with any service. (C'mon folks, we can't work through grimy dirt.)
- Bicycles not originally assembled by a bike shop will cost an additional $25-50, to cover ergonomic fit adjustments, installation safety check, and repositioning parts as needed.
- Posted labor estimates do not apply to bikes with seriously mis-matched parts, assembled improperly, or components that do not work right together on the bicycle (think 3 old bikes morphed into 1 non-functional bike). They are subject to additional, sometimes substantially additional, labor charges due to the extra work required to restore compatible components and safe operation. We would notify you if this is the case prior to starting the work.
- Could your bike have ever been stolen? We use Bike Index and any bike that turns up stolen will be surrendered to law enforcement or its rightful owner, so please check before bringing your bike in for service.
- $15/night storage fee for any bike not picked up at the scheduled time. We have limited space, and we want to encourage our customers to pick up their bikes as soon as work is finished to minimize the possibility of irreplaceable bikes being stolen during this unfortunate and ongoing bike shop burglary crime spree (2020 - 2021).
- We cannot accommodate walk-up requests for minor repairs or adjustments due to the processes necessary to check in & sanitize all bikes for the duration of the Covid-19 threat to public health. Please plan ahead by making an appointment, or scroll down for links to purchase parts & tools, and check out our resources page for links to DIY maintenance videos.
Repairs & Customizations
Need a repair? Contact us today for a free estimate. *
We are happy to customize your ride! Whether you're looking to upgrade functionality of your current parts, or you're looking to change your fit to make your bike feel new again, we're here for you.
Ready to replace that worn out cassette? Need some sweet new fenders? Always wanted a dropper seat post? Let us help you source ideal parts and professionally install them for you.
Check out some of our customizations...
Home Bike Repair
We recommend having a few products at home to do basic maintenance and help you keep your bike in excellent working condition between your annual tune-ups. Check out our resources for links to how-to videos. We have an excellent selection of essential tools, lubricants and cleaning products, and quality work stands. Shop online and drop by for free contact-less storefront pickup.